To deliver the quality of care you want for your residents, we need to have great care workers. We’re determined to employ the best and to give them the professional skills, status and motivation they need. This also helps us to retain our care workers, so we can maintain our capacity and offer continuity of care to customers.
Selecting care workers you can rely on
Our experience has shown us that the strength within the individual is at least as important as the strength of their CV. We interview every applicant face-to-face, to find out if their personality is right for the job.
We also check their career history, references, qualifications and training. And we carry out a rigorous vetting procedure that includes a Disclosure and Barring Service check and ensuring that every candidate has the right to work in the UK.
Providing outstanding training to our care workers
We are people, caring for people. This human connection is the foundation of our training. A four-day course gives trainees the professional skills they need, which they then put into practice through fully-paid, on-the-job training with a mentor.
We develop our people carefully because we know you can’t fake personal chemistry and human relationships. In particular:
- Experienced ‘Care Coaches’ team up with our carers, to help them gain confidence
- After induction, all care workers can register for the QCF Diploma level 2
- Following training, a senior field care supervisor or qualified nurse supervises a competency sign-off with each individual
- We ensure our people keep up their competency through regular supervision sessions and annual refresher training
- Managers meet with care workers every 12 weeks, to discuss career and development needs
- We have an internally-written learning portfolio of 27 courses and a dedicated Learning and Development Team delivering an extensive range of courses
- Training in specialist areas like dementia gives care workers relevant skills as they progress, and can develop into a higher-level qualification
Making our care workers feel valued
Uniquely, we offer every care worker an employment contract that guarantees them a minimum of 18 hours of work each week. It underlines the faith we put in them to do a crucial job and gives our staff status and security. In turn, this helps us to deliver reliable, high-quality care for your residents.