Skip to main content

Social services funded care

Your local authority’s social services department is obliged to assess your care needs. By sitting down with the assessor and your family and friends, you can explain your needs and start to work out what help you require.

If your local authority agrees that you need care, they’ll assess your finances to see how much they can fund and whether you need to contribute.

If you’re eligible for care at home funding

Your local authority will discuss the type of care you need, what’s available in your area and who can provide it.

Your local authority can then arrange your care or you can choose to receive a Personal Budget. This means your local authority gives you money to pay for your care services, allowing you to choose your provider or to use the council’s own services. This gives you more control.

Find out more about Personal Budgets.

If you’re eligible for residential care funding

If you qualify for permanent residential care, your local authority will carry out a financial assessment that includes looking at the value of your assets. This will tell you if the local authority will meet your care home fees or if you will need pay.

If you’re not eligible for funding

If you’re not eligible for local authority funding, there may be other help available to you, such as state benefits and allowances. The first step in finding out is to visit for the most up-to-date facts on getting state benefits.

State benefits that you might be entitled to include:

  • Attendance Allowance – a non-means-tested benefit paid to you if you’re over 65 years old and have a physical disability, a mental disability, or both.
  • Constant Attendance Allowance – a benefit paid to you if you claim a War Disablement Pension or Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, and you need daily care because of a disability.
  • Disability Living Allowance – if you’re under 65 and assessed as needing care, you can claim this non-means-tested benefit, which is paid in two parts – care and mobility. You may be entitled to receive one or both parts. The Disability Living Allowance is starting to be replaced by the Personal Independence Payment, which is very similar and also paid in two parts.
  • Registered nursing care contribution – if you go into a residential nursing home and need nursing care, you may be entitled to a payment from the NHS to help fund the nursing care.

Getting advice

If you need advice on your eligibility for funding, your local authority's social services department is a good place to start.

bottom line here

Looking for care?

Call 0800 542 1078*

Whether you need care arranged quickly or just want more information


Contact us
Why Allied Healthcare

Why Allied Healthcare?

With over 40 years' experience, we understand better care.

Read more
Need some advice

Need some advice?

Finding care can be daunting - but our online guides are here to help.

Get advice
Need to arrange care

Need to arrange care?

Our teams are here for you when you need them.

Arrange care
Thinking about care work

Thinking about care work?

Join us in making a real difference to people's lives.

Apply now

Think all care is the same?

think all care is the same

Think all care is the same?

Watch our video to find out more.

Watch our video to find out more.

Watch our video to find out more.

Contact us
work for us

Work for us

Thinking of working for us?

Search online for our latest vacancies.

Read more