Skip to main content

Personal budgets

You can ask your local authority to assess your eligibility to receive a Personal Budget. This gives you more control over your care and how you receive it.

If you opt for a Personal Budget, your council will assess your care needs and how much it is able to pay towards them. It will then allocate you a budget to spend on suitable care services and allow you to choose how to spend it, so the care you receive best suits your situation and needs. Depending on your circumstances, you may be asked to contribute towards the cost of your care.

Your Personal Budget Options

When you receive your Personal Budget, you’ll have a number of choices for how you use it.

Managed Council Budgets

This allows you to ask the council to commission your care for you. Your council may already have a contract with a company to provide these care services. However, some local authorities allow you to choose from a range of providers, while others allow you to request any provider, with the council then managing the relationship with the provider you want.

Individual Service Funds

This is a more flexible type of managed budget. Your care provider will contract with the council for your care, and may also be able to buy other services you might need. Your care provider is responsible to you for using your budget appropriately and making sure it’s spent only on your assessed needs.

Direct Payments

With a direct payment, you can receive money directly into your bank account. This allows you to employ your own carer or buy your care services from an agency or care provider.

If you want, you can have your direct payment administered by someone else, such as a community organisation or you can have your direct payment paid to a friend, a family member or a trust set up to manage your budget.

How to apply for a Personal Budget or get more information

If you’re thinking about a Personal Budget, we recommend that you get advice from your council before you decide.

You can find your local authority’s contact details on their website, at their offices or in the phone book. Your GP, health care professional or local Citizens Advice Bureau will also be able to tell you how to get in touch with them.

Alternatively, you can find your local authority and discover how to apply for Personal Budget by visiting the government’s website.

In Control is a national charity that promotes care choice and self-direct support. Visit their website for more information and assistance.

If you want to know about the Allied Healthcare’s services for Personal Budget holders please click here.

bottom line here

Looking for care?

Call 0800 542 1078*

Whether you need care arranged quickly or just want more information


Contact us
Why Allied Healthcare

Why Allied Healthcare?

With over 40 years' experience, we understand better care.

Read more
Need some advice

Need some advice?

Finding care can be daunting - but our online guides are here to help.

Get advice
Need to arrange care

Need to arrange care?

Our teams are here for you when you need them.

Arrange care
Thinking about care work

Thinking about care work?

Join us in making a real difference to people's lives.

Apply now

Think all care is the same?

think all care is the same

Think all care is the same?

Watch our video to find out more.

Watch our video to find out more.

Watch our video to find out more.

Contact us
work for us

Work for us

Thinking of working for us?

Search online for our latest vacancies.

Read more